Gay Marriage

Well well, gay marriage has been legalised in NYC.
I was actually really surprised to hear that, so now 5 states in the U.S. allow same sex marriage aka gay marriage. Ofcourse there's still 3 dozen states that define marriage as a connection between a man and a women. But we'll just have to take it one step at a time.

Here in Belgium, being gay isn't that much of a deal. Yes ofcourse we've got the haters, but there's also the lovers. Back in May it was Rainbow week. In Lanaken ( that's a city in Belgium, I've got some good friends there) they we're handing out the festival bands/bracelets. They've got the rainbow colors and on them they've written 'TOLERO' which is derived from tolerant, meaning you don't mind wether someone is straight, gay, lesbian or bisexual. I myself am wearing one as well. I think it's important that people can show the world who they really are and that they don't have to worry about what other people think. The rainbow week was a big succes and over
3 000 bracelets we're handed out in schools.

In America something like this would be out of the question. It's still a very religious country and being a christian is still a big thing there.
Religion has faded a bit here. Yes we still have people going to church, yes we've still got religious education in our schools. But it doesn't have a big impact on the youngsters here anymore. I still go to a Catholic school. And we still have our annual church service that we have to attend to. But apart from that I doubt that hardly anyone who goes to my school attends any church service, unless it's for a wedding, christening or funeral.

I also have the privilige of having gay friends. Okay now I'm just making them sound special. But really they aren't any different from anyone else. They're humans and like other humans, they're a lot of fun !
In the big cities here in Belgium there are some gay clubs and even my straight friends go there. It's a totally different atmosphere there, apparently more fun. I haven't been to any of them, mainly because I'm to young. But if I could, I would. You know what I mean ?

There are a lot of different opinions about this subject, and I know not everyone shares mine.
But I'm entitled to it, just like you're entitled to your opinion.






0 opinions:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 • Grace ? Yes that would be me. • Design by Dzignine